Software Testing Services: Pros and Cons of Exploratory Testing
Any software tester, consciously or unconsciously, at least though one time used the techniques of exploratory testing when carrying out software testing.
Despite the fact that this type of testing is not very popular today it has a number of significant advantages.
Exploratory testing, unlike scenario approach, is simultaneous process of test design and test execution. This technique is characterized by high performance and usability feature. Sometimes, using this approach, a testing team manages to faster detect those software bugs that were missed during rigorous testing performed previously.
Software testing services help developers to test their applications in real-world scenarios.
3 main advantages of exploratory testing:
- Test time reduction because the process does not require specialized training, but the success depends to higher degree on cognitive thinking of a tester.
- Usage of the general facts due to the results got in advance so that to obtain precise information on a certain defect or the system’s behavior.
- Focus on the fact that the product tends to pass certain types of tests.
Any software testing company must warn its testers that despite the significant advantages this type of testing has also minuses. Without being familiar with them, the specialists may face the risk of decrement of software quality.
2 main limitations of exploratory testing:
- Software testers have to strictly and subsequently follow certain type of scenarios in order to check if they tend to be successfully executed.
- Some important defects may be missed.
When performing exploratory software testing, the testers are somewhat free to do their work by using own experience and skills. Of course, this type of testing is very convenient and pleasant to run but it is worth remembering that there are also other types of testing – manual testing, functional testing, security testing, automated testing, penetration testing, etc.
By the way, penetration testing companies help businesses to protect their critical infrastructure, confidential data and reputation by providing real world attack scenarios.