The Importance of Web Testing
Being a final phase of web site design, testing plays an important role in the development of high quality e-commerce site. Testing helps to find defects and issues before they hit production and, as a result, easy readable, intuitive, convenient, user-friendly and reliable web app is made available to the wider public.
The more complicated website is, the longer it will take to test and debug it. It depends on the project how much money and time would be spent on website testing. The expenditures can reach by up to 50% of all the resources allocated to the project. Using overseas web testing services is a good way to save time and money.
You need to develop a special methodology based on which your website will be tested.
You may conduct this testing in different ways but do not diminish the importance of the process itself as well as testing strategy. This will affect the sequence of your steps.
Let us consider the major steps you need to take to test your website.
We should make some preparations before committing to documentation testing. A tester studies the documentation obtained (analyzes certain functionality of the site, makes a plan for future testing).
This stage involves studying the main web site test artifacts:
- Testing plan.
- Test cases.
- Compliance matrices.
Website functional testing
Functional testing focuses on each function of a website to check whether it is per requirements specification or not. Web app functional testing helps to describe what system does.
We will try to make a checklist for testing website functionality.
You should test:
- outgoing links;
- validness of internal links;
- absence of links leading to the same page;
- links that are used to send emails to a website’s operators;
- pages not liked to;
- absence of invalid links.
Testing of forms for all web pages
You are using forms for two-way communication with your clients. Well, it is necessary to check the following:
- validity of input data;
- valid values for data field;
- invalid input data for data field;
- parameters of the forms in which data can be removed or modified, or changed in any other way.
Cookies are small messages passed by web servers to web browser when you visit a e-commerce resource.
- test website when cookies are disabled;
- test website when cookies are enabled;
- make sure that cookie files are encrypted before recording them to the user’s computer;
- check security aspects while clearing cookie files.
If cookies have duration of action then you need to check if they are active in certain time period.